Thursday, November 6, 2008

Persistence of Memory by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes

3 stars: There's a vampire in my head...........
I'm a bit surprised by all the negative reviews. I found the book rather interesting and unusual. At least with this story, you know right away it's fantasy - not like with some teen books that are supposed to be realistic and yet are not. I don't read much in the way of vampire and shape-shifter lore, so I was trying to figure out what different types of powers the various characters had and to discern what was going on from the beginning. The changes in time, characters, and place were at times a bit confusing.
Erin, aged 16, has spent most of her years in and out of mental hospitals and diagnosed with schizophrenia and dangerous behavior. She has recently had a flash of memories of being in another person's body in another place and time. The concept of severe schizophrenia being due to something otherworldly was a unique one. The characters were a bit flat, and unlike other reviewers, I wanted to know more about the life and times of the vampire and her consort rather than about modern day Erin and Sassy. The one thing I would want included or added to make this book better would be MORE INFORMATION. It seemed to end rather rapidly with all the history and detail not fully explained. Although this book will probably not be gobbled up like the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer or Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz, I would think about buying this one for the school library.
The Twilight Collection (Twilight);
Blue Bloods (Blue Bloods Novel)
Masquerade (A Blue Bloods Novel) (Blue Bloods Novel)
Blue Bloods 3: Revelations;

2 comments:

Mia Celeste said...

Very thoughtful review. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Sounds somewhat confusing. I would prefer if it would be more realistic, instead of more fantasy-based so I would be able to relate to it as I read it. Maybe I'll give it a try, though.