Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Crank-- Reviewed by Desarae Coffey




Crank by Ellen Hopkins

 I am giving this book four and a half stars out of a five star rating. Something you may want to know about this story before reading it isthe writing style. This book is written in free verse. This type of style is kind of hard to understand but is easy to read.

The book Crank is about a straight -A high schooler name Kristina, who gets mixed up in drugs and is raped. Over this past summer Kristiana decides to go and spend two weeks with her dad that she hasn't seen since she was very young. Her dad turns out to be nothing but wasted soul, constantly strung out on Crank. While she is down there she meets a guy named Adam, falls in love while getting addicted to Crank aka cocane aka the monster. The monster brings out her double personality. Kristina struggles to keep Bre tamed and undercontrol while losing the will to want to. Bre is addicted to the monster and will never let him go, until something makes her...

Two weeks like she goes back home knowing her father will never change or never own up to his responsibilities. When she goes back home, Bre has gone back to her home deep inside Kristina's mind until she alone again. During the last weeks of Summer, she feels the pain of heart break and the suffocation of her mom. She gets raped and finally let goes of Bre. Bre is free and let's the Monster back in. She finds a new love interest but doesn't know if they will make it..

When Bre finally let's go of the Monster she finds out she is pregnant...

Read the book to find out the ending..

My personally reference for Crank is that drugs are apart of life, it is our choice whether we walk away or join the monster. Most people don't understand is that once the monster have his fangs hooked in you, it's a battle from hell to break free. The monster will consume your soul if you let him... Bre and Kristiana were to completely different souls stuck in the same body fighting for domance while the monster rocked both of them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is probably my all time favorite book! I know I've read it at least once every year of high school, and it never gets old. This book, though I can't say I relate to Kristina's problem, is so emotionally riveting it kept me biting my nails the entire time just wondering what was going to happen...and I guess free verse is just an acquired taste haha, I liked it written that way. The rest of the series is good too, I hope you'll find time to read them and Hopkins other books!!

Anonymous said...

It took me a little while to warm up to free verse, I agree it's sometimes difficult to understand, but now I love Ellen Hopkins! This was the first book I read by her and it definitely left me wanting more. Even though Kristina's problems aren't problems I've faced, I still found her to be a relatable character.

Anonymous said...

I really loved this book, I was instantly drawn into the story. I couldn't really relate to Kristina's problems, but I had a friend who was going through the same thing. I really like the free verse style of writing and the rest of the series is great.