Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Bumped --- a review by Amy Lyon

Bumped
by Megan McCafferty

***

In a world where a virus makes everyone over the age of eighteen infertile, where teen pregnancy isn't just okay, but demanded, how do two very different twins fit in? This is the story of Melody and Harmony, twins that were left on a doorstep with a note saying "Forgive me Melody and Harmony". Melody was adopted by two PhDs working on the pregnancy issue, and like her parents Melody promotes "bumping", even wants to be president of the "bumping" organization. Harmony, on the other hand, grew up in Goodside, where you must be married before you can have children. Harmony badly wants to take Melody back to Goodside, but she's harboring a secret that could ruin both of them...

Bumped was most definitely an original dystopian novel, but so confusing at times it was hard to follow. Keeping up with who was telling what became a challenge, because after a while the sisters have similar voices and the same slightly desperate tone. Overall it was an okay book. Fans of dystopian or virus books should definitely read this.

4 comments:

TheBookNurse said...

I am sure I will get to this someday!!!

Sarah Gnefkow said...

I really enjoyed this book

George Morejon said...

This seems really interesting, and I would think in a society like that the marriage thing would not be as important. I really want to read this now.

Anonymous said...

This is a book that sounds interesting. I think the review was well written, and I could see myself checking this out in the future.