Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Words in the Dust-- A Review by Sarah Gnefkow



Words in the Dust
by Trent Reedy

*** Stars

Zulaikhas a young girl living in Afghanistan whos life is definitely not very easy. She has a face deformity which she is constantly harassed about. The Taliban is no longer in power but it has still taken her mother away from her, leaving her with her father and his ill-tempered wife. She is afraid of her culture and her features until one day when she meets a woman named Meena who helps her with her writing and poetry. Then an opportunity of a life time is presented when an American Soldier offers her the chance to fix her facial deformity. Will she accept this mans offer? Or will she refuse and follow traditions of her culture?

This book was alright. I expected a lot more from it but most of the time I was just really confused. Some parts I got really into but a lot of the time I just wanted to give up because I had no idea what was happening because a lot was going on all at once. I recommend this to people who love books that have a lot of tradition and values of yound woman in it.

2 comments:

TheBookNurse said...

The topic of the book and the fact that she is disfigured make it intriguing to me. I'll likely read it in the future.

Hannah Tarwater said...

I think that this book seems very interesting to me. It talks about some current issues that are happening in the world today. I will probably read this book!