Monday, October 13, 2008

Just fantastic!

The Woman in White (Barnes & Noble Classics)
by Wilkie Collins

Let me say this -- I LOVED this book. I devoured it over a couple of days and have reread pages and passages since. I don't often choose to read victorian gothic, but the characters and the plot devices really hooked me. Setting: England, circa 1800s. Lush countryside estates. Characters: Two half sisters, bound through maternal line -- one rich, one poor -- one pretty, one not so much -- one very clever, the other, well -- is a tool to be abused. And get this -- an obese count to play the part of villain along with a dastardly baronet to wed an orphan girl.....you'll love it. And also -- get the Andrew Lloyd Webber CD of the musical with the same name AND watch the masterpiece theater version as well. Three ways to enjoy this splendid tale. I would rate it higher than 5 stars if I could!

No comments: