Monday, November 2, 2009

The Hate List by Jennifer Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars How do you go on after your boyfriend goes on a shooting rampage?, November 2, 2009


This was an excellent YA novel about the aftermath of a school shooting. The protagonist, Valerie, was the girlfriend of the shooter and has to live with the consequences of being known as his ally and as the co-author of the "hate list" that instigated the bloodshed. Was she involved? Did she know he was going to do this?

Valerie returns to high school the fall after the shootings. She is shunned and feared, but tries to continue on. She's been in therapy and she's working through the feelings she has about her boyfriend Nick -- the guy she loved vs the boy who shot her classmates. How did she not know that he was planning this?

This is a well done novel about the aftermath of school violence. How people adapt, change, come to terms with the senseless act. The reactions of enemies, friends, family -- it's all here. There are no pat answers and Valerie isn't magically cured. The violent act changes everyone.

Recommend!

Ms C.

4 comments:

Ana Stock said...

Reading this review made me think what would I do if my boyfriend, or even one of my girlfriends decided to go on a shooting rampage? How would I handle it? I like how this review captures the attention of the reader, I'll give it some thought and I might pick it up!

Jo Burdett said...

This sounds like an EXCELLENT read. Im putting it on my list now! I love books that can make an impression on me, Im definitly going to have to pick this one up, and read it.

Johanna said...

Same here!

Anonymous said...

This wasn't one of my favorite books, but I do think the author did a really good job writing it. It just wasn't my cup of tea.