Sunday, November 1, 2009

Hush Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

2.0 out of 5 stars Do not waste your time..., November 1, 2009


I heard the buzz earlier this year -- the new hot sub topic in the paranormal genre: fallen angels. I was interested -- I'm a high school librarian and I'm always wanting to have the latest books for students. The cover of this one looked intriguing and I ordered it. The most positive thing I can say is that it's a quick read -- other than that -- well, I'm not recommending this one.

I think the author was trying to create an Edward Cullen of Twilight (The Twilight Saga, Book 1) fame with this book - and I even assume it's the first of a possible series given the nature of YA literature to follow that route. Patch is no Edward Cullen and the main character in this story, Nora, is no Bella.

From the beginning (the characters meet in Biology class for heaven's sake -- note similarity), the premise and the story defy all logic and there is nothing remotely believable about the characters or the plot. Nora and best friend Vee are drawn into a ridiculous story about a fallen angel and various other angels and Nephilim (half angel half mortal). At least once on every page I had to suppress a gasp of disbelief and just shook my head at the antics of the characters in the book. Most of what happens in these pages makes the reader suspend disbelief to such a level as to be laughable. From Vee calling in a bomb threat to the climax in the school library -- the things that occur seem far-fetched and unrealistic even given the fantasy nature of the story. There is no point to this whole book!

I'm not recommending this one, nor will I read a sequel. Fallen angels may be the new hot topic but hopefully other authors will make it less of of an attempt at Twilight copycat and more original.

Ms C

2 comments:

Jo Burdett said...

All I can hope is that No other books like this will come up. Fallen Angels may be the hot topic this year, but its no good without backstory, or if the book is trying to be like Twilight. Originality is key to books in the paranormal Genre, and so far, these books have not impressed me.

Amy Lyon said...

I understand why fallen angels are hot now, but can we get an author that knows how to wright about them?