Monday, August 30, 2010

Impulse by Ellen Hopkins -- review by Hope Austin


Impulse


***** stars


by Ellen Hopkins

Question: What could an army brat, former juvenile delinquent and a prep possibly have in common? Answer: a whole lot. Enter Aspen springs, a psychiatric hospital, and you'll find a group of friends made of three very different people. There's Tony, the street-smart guy who knows the ins and outs of the facility, Vanessa, a girl who wants to stop alternating between "up" and "down", and Conner, the guy who supposedly has it all: money, popularity and the attention of quite a few girls. At the beginning of the story, the only thing they have in common is that that they all attempted suicide. However, as the story progresses, we see that they have a lot more in common then one would suspect. Together, the trio grows and faces their demons.

I can't give away too much away without spoiling the entire book. It's 666 pages long, and filled with twists and turns. Don't be intimidated by the size though, it's written in free verse, so it moves very quickly. The book deals with a wide range of topics, from suicide and child molestation to drug use and sexuality. It seems like a lot to take in, but Hopkins writes it well. One thing I especially liked was the tone of the story. Hopkins isn't telling the reader about the evils of crystal meth or premarital sex or anything like that; there's no judgment, only the story of three people getting a second chance at life. A non-preachy tone like that sometimes is pretty hard to come by in YA fiction.


Review written by: Hope Austin


12 comments:

TheBookNurse said...

This is the only one of her free verse books that I have not read. I find them incredibly depressing.

Johanna said...

I haven't read them because they seem whiny. However, I haven't met anyone who has hated them, and the fact that overly-analytical Hope liked this is impressive. Nice first review!

Claire Banderas said...

This seems like a really intresting book! Your review makes it seems like it shows the dark side of a teenage life and that not everything is always perfect and happy.

Mary Roberts said...

sounds like a good book ^^

Eriana B. said...

This sounds like it will be a book full of suspense I might give it a try.

brianna s said...

Its a pretty good book. i have read it before and i thought it was good.

Mary Kate Williams said...

The cover was the the first that caught my eye and the first sentence snatched my attention! It sounds a little depressing, but I'm definitely interested in reading it.

Katy Chael said...

DUDE! I read this book its really good I advise it to any teenage girl. I mean its a little depressing but still it gives a good message! All Ellen Hopkins books are like that. :)

Mary Pat Brage said...

This book looks great!

Chris Scott said...

I have read the first book of this series and I liked it so ounce I read the second I'll try it

Anonymous said...

I read the First of this series and I'm gone read this one

~Chris Scott~

Chris Scott said...

I love this book