Thursday, August 19, 2010

Johanna Kelly's Book Review

My Mother’s Boyfriend and Me

Alice Jacoby

*star

Sixteen year old Laurie is an average teenage girl who has a close relationship to her widowed mother. Laurie never knew her father; he died when she was only a few months old. Laurie’s mother has dated men that were her age before, but none very seriously. Now her mother has invited a 26 year Blue to move into their apartment, a man that her mother has only known for a few weeks. Laurie is afraid that the one Blue is after is not her mother, but herself.

This book is no longer available in the O’Hara library, but I don’t think anyone is missing out. It hasn’t been checked out since the year 2000. Laurie is very whiny, she reminds me of Bella from Twilight, as it was unbearable to read. Laurie was more paranoid than threatened, Blue never made any advances towards her--he was not a nice person, but he wasn’t a sexual predator. He was financially attached to them, he didn’t have a real job, and he went to parties with his slacker friends a little too often. I would be upset if my mother brought home a man that she didn’t really know after we’d lived together alone for so long, but I wouldn’t accuse him of abuse. It seems as if the author didn’t want to use any disturbing detail, but the book made little sense. The only reason I finished it was because I wanted to see if anything more would happen to Laurie, I won’t spoil it, but I was disappointed.

6 comments:

Ian Zig. said...

That does sound like a waste of time, and I hate whiny voices! Thanks for your input, I definently won't read it.

Amy Lyon said...

I have to agree this doesn't sound like an interesting book. I won't be reading this...thanks for the warning.

Aspen Gates said...

Awww man it was kinda sounding interesting in the beginning until you said how winey she was. Well definately won't be reading this book.

Johanna said...

Yes, the author did not understand teenage girls; she was stereotyping Laurie. She always said things like "what a drag!" and most of her sentences ended in exclamation points.

bryce foster said...

sounds depressing in the sense of not having a stable father figure.

Johanna said...

I didn't even think about that, which further proves the authors ignorance of teenagers.