Sunday, December 11, 2011

Divergent--reviewed by Nallely S.


Divergent: Veronica Roth

* * * * * Stars


"ONE CHOICE CAN TRANSFORM YOU."- Divergent


Living without making your own decisions.....will drive you crazy.
Beatrice Prior has been in Abnegation(the selfless), a faction, all her life. Until she makes a choice that ruins her family forever. Leaving Abnegation for the Dauntless(the brave) Beatrice renames herself Tris. Being the only Abnegation to transfer into Dauntless, Tris' life is living hell. Her only friends Christina, Will, Al, and Four. Tris must pass the initiation or become a Factionless. Tris must fight her friends and her enemies if she wants to be with the Dauntless. Tris knows she can't tell anyone her secret...because it may be her death.


Alone, in a world where even your friends might become your enemies...Tris must fight for her place in Dauntless...she must fight for her family...for her growing affection to a certain infuriating boy. Will Tris make it into Dauntless? Will she find others like her? Will Tris find answers to her mother's demands? Read Divergent. X) I promise you'll love it~!




I gave Divergent 5 stars because....it's amazing~! The cover itself is enough to fall in love with~! The way Roth portrayed the need to be free..the need to fight for what you want...was beautiful and sad. It's similar yet different to other futuristic books I've read. The way Tris and her love life folded out was written perfect. Although I sometimes wanted to kill Tris....she is an example of someone fighting for what she wants yet fighting for what is right and wrong at the same time.
This book is very well written and I hope I still like the characters in the sequel to come. X)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree this is an amazing book! Dystopian novels are becomign really popular now- thankfully we're over vampires!- and it can be hard to find a good one. The future that Roth portrays isn't too unrealistic and I like that she doesn't try too hard to create a crazy dystopian society. Tris is a strong character that could be best friends with Katniss Everdeen (The Hunger Games) and I always appreciate a strong female character that may have flaws but manages to work through them.

TheBookNurse said...

I gave this 2 stars

Dystopian and apocalyptic fiction are two of my favorite genres but this novel did not resonate with me. Many other reviewers have described their reaction to the heroine, the plot, the background, the other characters, and the development of the story already and said it quite well. I'll add this -- I am not a fan of books that have a lot of violence, especially when kids are killing other kids for basically no reason other than sport. I don't like to read about senseless deaths or the ever present unrealistic love story that seems to be popular and almost a staple in YA fiction now. The society (housed in groups in a ravaged Chicago, USA) and the factions made absolutely no sense -- just another segregation and discriminatory set-up that could never have been a goal of a previous rebellion.
Regardless of the other two novels which might attempt to explain away the banality of the new world order, I'll not read them.
I am used to being a step off from the reading crowd so I accept that my review might upset or anger the horde of DIVERGENT fans, but I just marked this one as OK.

PS Had a GREAT book club meeting with my teens about this book -- of course they all loved it! We discussed many of the themes and had some passionate debate! Any book that can keep a teen's interest and have them racing through the pages (as well as reading the additional ones in the trilogy) is a winner in my mind whether or not I liked it :)

So, this one is highly recommended by teens for teens! Everyone is excited to see the film.

DC Nov 13, 2013

Timothy Lakin said...

I loved the divergent series and I feel that dystopian novels awe becoming very popular.

Alexis DeMarea said...

The Divergent series was one of the first series that I really enjoyed. My friends and I loved the plot and characters. It was exciting and kept me interested.

Leah Stufflebean said...

The Divergent series were one of my favorite series, although the first was the best in my opinion.

Anonymous said...

I loved reading the series. The best in my opinion was my favorite. It was a truly amazing read.

Cameron Leathers said...

I really liked this book because it had a whole bunch of action (which I like) and the story was very well written. Can't wait to read the other ones!

Kayla Puno said...

I absolutely loved the Divergent series. I have read all three books, and I think that the first book is the best. The visual images that I created in my mind were different from how they were portrayed in the movie, but I still enjoy both. For a dystopian book, I think Tris was a very relatable character.

Anonymous said...

I personally thought the book was well written. It was gripping, and made me want to read the next one. The only problem I have with the series is Tris. She is bland and ((spoiler)) her relationship with Tobias was perfect. Not in a good way either. Their constant fighting in the second book was grating. It got to the point where I had to stop reading because only one argument was all I could handle for that day. Otherwise, the book was pretty good, albeit slow in some parts.

Unknown said...

I loved the Divergent series. This book was a great book to read.

Anonymous said...

I think this book was very good. I think how they started the series with this book was great. There was so much detail that it was easy to have images in my head. It also made me agree or disagree at parts of the movie because the book was so specific. I think overall it is worth reading.

Charlotte Kenney said...

I think this book was good. I am not usually a reader but I could not put this book down. It is very easy to follow what's going on. I would definitely recommend this book.