Friday, November 8, 2013

Impossible - reviewed by Maggie Devero



Impossible by Nancy Werlin
Reviewed by Maggie Devero

"Are you going to Scarborough Fair? Parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme; remember me to one who lives there, for once she was a true lover of mine..."

An old folk ballad begins to haunt Lucy Scarborough, once she turns seventeen. All she wanted was to go to a normal prom, with a normal cute boy in a band, and enjoy herself. What she didn't expect, was her deranged biological mother showing up at pictures and throwing glass bottles at her and her date, then her date raping her in a closet after prom, and finishing it off by killing himself after he left. The thing is though...Lucy doesn't think her date, Gray Spencer, was in control of himself at the time. Not that he was inebriated or something...Lucy thinks that another person was possessing her date, and was the cause of all this. With the help of some hidden notes and a diary from the time her mother Miranda was sane, Lucy learns she has to complete three unbelievable, and magical tasks in order to discontinue a curse that has been passed down in her family for generations. With the help of her foster family, her best friend Zach, and the modern day things that weren't available years ago, Lucy can only still hope to win this battle, break the curse, and avoid falling into insanity.

I gave the book three out of five stars. The storyline itself was unique enough; I really didn't expect a rape scene to take place only chapters within the beginning of the book. The rest of the book had its twists and turns which kept it interesting. I don't really read a lot of fantasy/magical themed books, or at least ones like this, but I liked it! The writing style was good as well, descriptive enough to not be boring, but not detailed enough to be fully captivating like making me part of the story itself. Even the mini romances throughout the book didn't bother me as much as they usually do, probably because there was not the usual emphasis on them to the plot. Also the cover was really pretty, one of the main reasons I looked at the book in the first place. When I googled the picture for this review, this wasn't even the main cover to come up, but I like this one a lot better. So yes, the book was a nice change of pace for myself, and it was worth the three stars.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The way this book looks seems to being happening I earlier times but the way you portray it seems to be in our current time. I think I might read it

Anonymous said...

This actually caught my attention and seems like something I would read! My only concern is that some parts might be too graphic and be more uncomfortable than interesting and end up taking away from the overall experience of reading this book.