Wednesday, November 6, 2013

The Room Beyond-- Reviewed by Desarae Coffey






The Room Beyond by Stephanie Elmas

I give this book four out of five stars. I was recommended this book by Ms. Crawford for she knows I am into ghosts, love and dark paranormal things. This book can be a little creepy at time, but that is what draws you in.
The Room Beyond by Stephanie Elmas is two stories tied into one. It starts out with a young women, Serena. She begins her new life at 36 Marguerite Avenue in London. Here sits a beautiful mansion that Serena falls in love with. Later she uncovers that the house is laced with dark secrets. She is slightly confused at the fact that the house 34 Marguerite Avenue is missing, but says nothing. The house belongs to the Hartreve family, who she becomes the nanny of Beth the granddaughter.
Serena is welcomed with open arms and by being here she hopes to forget her ghosts of her own sad childhood and find her home that she so desperately wants.
The other story starts out in the year 1892 with the main character, Miranda Whitehouse. In the setting of this story, Miranda is fighting to save her marriage with her husband, Tristan, while being fascinated by the mysterious but strange Lucinda Eden. Lucinda Eden was abandon by her husband and is now living as their next door neighbor. When Miranda Whitehouse invited Lucinda over for her dinner party she didn’t realize the impact Lucinda would make on their lives.
My opinion of this book is its okay. I would have preferred it to be just one whole story instead of two separate stories tying in together. I found it a little difficult to understand and to stay focused. When I read I tend to find myself acting as the character itself. Going through the character's life from my point of view and with this story I found I just couldn’t get attached to any of the characters.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of it being set in the past and being a creepy ghost story.. I'm getting sick of all the love stories out there that I need something like this every once in awhile. It seems like it would certainly be worth giving a try.