Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The Elite Review by Paige Espinosa



     In this sequel to The Selection, America Singer finds herself competing against five other girls for Prince Maxon while still trying to figure out her feelings for Aspen. Once on solid footing, America finds herself no longer Maxon's only favorite and has to hurry up with her decision-making before Maxon gives up on her and moves on to someone he knows will be there for him. In this book, America also starts to uncover some of her country's secret history and develop a new, more intimidating meaning of what it would mean for her to one day possibly be the queen.
     I gave this book three and a half stars because even though it was still pretty unoriginal I just had to know what was going to happen with the characters, even though it wasn't hard to guess. Neither Maxon nor Aspen are outright awful choices so while reading this book, I couldn't choose who to root for! No matter which one she chooses, America will still be moving up at least one caste and both boys seem to genuinely care for her. I found myself getting frustrated at her for making this whole ordeal so much more difficult and messing things up with her temper. By the end, I even cried a bit and I'm not a sappy romance novel type of person.. The last time I cried like this while reading a book was when Dumbledore died at the end of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince! I can't wait for the next book to come out just so I can know what happens with these characters, it's killing me a little bit on the inside wondering if my hunch is correct or if suddenly there will be a huge plot twist. (It could happen, this author is a talented writer, she could totally pull something crazy like that off like maybe killing one of the boys or America leaving both her boy-toys at the castle to join the rebel forces against her country and meeting a nice rebel boy who likes to read...)

7 comments:

TheBookNurse said...

I plan to buy the final one in the series as soon as it's published! Glad you've enjoyed it!

Anonymous said...

The book sounded interesting, but I hate when I can guess what's going to happen! I like to be surprised. It doesn't seem like the type of book I would enjoy, but great review!

Anonymous said...

This book was amazing, far exceeding my expectations! I've read the whole series, and it's amazing. I recommend it for teens who like romance/suspense books.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with this review. While I found the general idea somewhat overdone, the writing itself was phenomenal! Lady America was an interesting character, especially in the last book, and she was a well-placed protagonist in this situation. However, she did really overcomplicate the situation, which irritated me quite a bit.

Anonymous said...

I love this book it took me to a whole different level.This is definitely one of my favorite books to read. I've never read a book that drew me in as much as this did. The author did an amazing job,I recommend reading this book and the others in the series! You won't regret it.

Anonymous said...

I really liked this book! I thought the characters were well developed, and I love that "America" was a strong woman and not week like the typical girl characters. I also thought your review was well written. It made captured my attention from the very first sentence.

Anonymous said...

I loved this entire series! America acts how many of us would if we were taken away from someone we love. I love how she started opening up more to the prince and actually started developing feelings for him!