Monday, April 4, 2016

Firstlife~ Reviewed by Hailey Hinrichs







"If at first you don't succeed, kill your opponent."
            In the Firstlife, you decide which realm you are going to join once you enter the Everlife. Either you choose Myriad or Troika.
            Tenley does not want to chose.
            Because of her resistance, she is locked in a facility with other teenagers to be tortured into figuring out which side she will chose when she enters Everlife. During her time in the facility she is alone, watches friends and her boyfriend die, and is bullied by other inmates. Life seems meaningless. That is until Killian and Archer showed up to the facility.
Archer and Killian have been sent by the two realms to try to make Tenley join their realm in the Everlife.
            When Tenley and Sloan, a friend in the facility, escape they get a chance to see what each realm has to offer. On the run, Tenley finds herself stuck between a fight for her soul. But who can she really trust? What choice will she make if the realm she is leaning towards isn't the one where the boy she's falling for lives? Tenley is determined to make a decision for herself but will she be able to keep herself alive to make the decision?
            
             I liked this book so I gave it 3 and a half out of 5 stars. I think the whole idea of the Everlife and the realms was an extremely interesting idea and plot for a story. But the part that confused me the most was I never really felt like I knew the definite reason why Tenley wanted to be so resistant. I get maybe wanting to find your own future but she had the choice of choosing which realm to enter into, yet she was so  against choosing either side. That's a big thing that kind of bothered me was how stubborn she was. It was hard to connect with her character. Most of all though I did like the whole plot to the story and how the author created this unique way of living in these two lives. There also was some romance in this book, but it definitely was not all the story was about. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys fantasy.  


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really liked your review a lot. I thought that you used some great word choices.

my question is that: do you believe Ten was a more independent character, or do you believe that she more of depended on the other characters in the story to add more to herself and the course she takes throughout the story?

Anonymous said...

Sarah,

I definitely think she was more independent. Even though there was romance in this novel, she didn't base her decisions off of where the boy she liked lived. It was more of how it could work for her and how she could take care of herself.