Monday, December 26, 2016

1st to Die (Women's Murder Club #1) ~ Reviewed by Elizabeth Barnes

"You can't tell which way the train went by looking at the tracks."

1st to Die (Women’s Murder Club #1) – James Patterson


Image result for 4.5 out of 5 stars

San Francisco homicide inspector Lindsay Boxer begins an investigation on the gruesome "wedding murders" with the help of her best friend, Medical Examiner Claire, and her new partner Chris Raleigh. When the rookie journalist Cindy digs into the investigation, Lindsay finds herself making a connection and brings her into the loop to do some nosing around to help solve the murder. The Women's Murder Club is then later rounded out by D.A. Jill as Lindsay is supported by her friends to round up a dangerous killer. This intelligent group of ladies form a bond as they collect the clues, as well as becoming a support group for Lindsay when she is struck by the news of a possibly-fatal blood condition that may just take her out for good. On top of all the chaos, Lindsay falls in love with her new partner Chris Raleigh and tries to trust him and others along the way.

Let me begin by saying that I loved this book from start to finish, and really could not put it down once I was halfway through. It is a book that will keep you hooked and a book that will really connect you with each and every character.

This was the first book that I have ever read by James Patterson and I cannot wait to read the next books in the series. All four of the ladies in the Women's Murder Club were excellent characters, especially Lindsay. I connected with her, and was rooting for her all throughout the book. I also enjoyed the budding relationship between her and Chris Raleigh. The chapters that Lindsay narrates are combined with chapters from the killer's point of view as well. I believe that gave the book the full story as well as a twisted mystery as you went along. The best part about this mystery was that even though you essentially know who the killer is since you are getting his story, you don't actually know who he really is. I think that took me by surprise and it left me shocked at the very end of the book. I loved how Patterson made the reader think that the end of the book was approaching, but it was not. I came across a lot of "OH WAIT! THIS IS NOT THE END OF THE BOOK!" moments while reading. It was great. I honestly have never seen so many twists and turns in a book EVER. This book was well put together, and I am surprised that a male writer put together such an excellent and strong female character. I am always impressed when an author chooses the main character as the opposite sex of themselves. Bravo to James Patterson!

I am looking forward to discussing this book in my upcoming book club meeting!

I give this book a 4.5 out of 5 stars.









No comments: