Tuesday, December 6, 2016

The Chemist ~ Reviewed by Elizabeth Barnes

"Laugh about it or cry about it, that's the only choice. I'd rather laugh while I can."

The Chemist



She used to work for  the U.S. Government but now she is on the run and cannot stay in the exact place for long. Throughout the book she prepares for the toughest fight of her life and meets a love interest that could complicate her likelihood of survival. Now, she must apply unique talents in order to survive.

I was counting down the days and so excited for Ms. Meyer's new book to be released, after reading, I have to say that I was let down. But let me make this clear, I have a lot of respect for Ms. Meyer and her choice to try something new. From reading the "Twilight" series, to jumping into "The Chemist" Ms. Meyer's writing style has appeared to have changed significantly. One change that I noticed was how Ms. Meyer started writing in third person, which threw me off because I am so used to her usual first person narrative. This book was neatly thought about. I appreciate that aspect above everything else. I could tell that Ms. Meyer spent time on this book. This book needed to have an engaging story line, as well as an emotional journey for the reader. Ms. Meyer led her readers down an emotional road in the "Twilight" series and I was excited to see and possibly experience that emotion again with a new genre. I waited for an emotional journey while reading, but it just did not happen  If Ms. Meyer decides to write another book, I am looking forward to a better story line.

When the book begins Alex (the main character) has been on the run for three years. She sleeps with a gas mask on, and takes so many precautions that she almost seems crazy to me. I was also confused through most of the book. I never knew who the narrator really was. Was it Alex? Or was it her real name? Juliana. The book never actually tells you why they switch her name around so much. Ms. Meyer only went by whatever name she was going by at the time. I also disliked, for instance, how the book was at least over 500 pages long, which is WAY TOO LONG for this type of story. The beginning of the story was also slow and boring, but throughout the book the plot became more adventurous. I did believe that the character Daniel added to the story in a good way. The suspense and thriller was also a good touch.

Overall it took me a lot of thinking on how I was going to rate this book. It was very entertaining seeing Stephenie Meyer out with a new book, but it was not a book that I could fall in love with.  

I give this book a 2 out of 5 stars.







No comments: