Sunday, February 12, 2017

The Dead Inside ~ Reviewed by Elizabeth Barnes

"I don't like depending on people because people leave all the time."

The Dead Inside

Image result for 2 out of 5 stars

Let me start out by saying that I do not know how I will be reviewing this book because it is a memoir. I cannot judge the characters, plot, or setting. The accounts that happened throughout the book were memories; they happened in real life, specifically to a young woman named Cyndy.

Cyndy Etler isn't a model child, but she's certainty not a druggie or anyone who should have ended up at Straight Inc. To the outside world Straight Inc. appeared as a drug rehabilitation center for teens, but inside it was frighteningly more cult-like. In her cutting and honest memoir Etler shows us inside Straight Inc. and how it affected those unlucky enough to be inside.

It is difficult to review a memoir of someone's life as the plot and characters all come from reality. The Dead Inside proves to be a chilling and eye-opening tale of a child from a damaged family being forced into the worst circumstances and brainwashed. It's heart wrenching to watch her fighting spirit die and see her slowly start to believe that she is the one who has done something wrong.

I feel that the story was cut short. Hopefully the sequel will cover Etler's reintegration into society but it might have been nice to hear a bit more about that in this novel. I also believe that this specific memoir would have benefited from a little more of Etler's adult voice interjecting. It seems to lack a lot of the woman that Etler is now and I would have liked to hear more of her opinion.

I give this book a 2 out of 5 stars.

Special thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the copy!   

No comments: