Sunday, February 12, 2017

One Moment ~ Reviewed by Elizabeth Barnes

"You're still alive, Mags. You might not feel like it. But you have to keep going."

One Moment

Image result for 3.5 out of 5 stars

Maggie has lost her two-year boyfriend in a horrible accident for which she was the only eye witness, and yet she can't remember a thing. They were a tight group of friends but with Joey's passing, they now drift apart, and nothing makes sense anymore. Does she even want to understand what happened during that one moment?

This book was quick to read, even if the topic felt heavy at times. I thought that the overall story was beautiful. It was more than talking about tragedy, it focused on friendship and healing. This book reminded me of "Thirteen Reasons Why" because the main characters and the readers have a mystery to solve throughout the book.

What really surprised me was Maggie's development throughout the story. She was definitely the most sheltered character among the six main characters. But by the end I feel that she is more mature and a lot more stronger. It was definitely a thumps-up ending for any teenager who is going through a loss of a loved one or a close friend. I also believe that the characters were easy to relate to. I could really feel their voices and personalities throughout the pages.

While I thought the story could have more twists, I can say that I was satisfied. I would highly recommend this book for book clubs and discussion groups for high school students. There are so many important parts to be discussed such as loss, friendships, relationships, guilt, and hard choices.

I give this book a 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Special thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the copy!

No comments: