Monday, March 2, 2009

Meaghan Kimbrell's Book Review

Testimony
by Anita Shreve
****
I found this book really interesting. I enjoyed reading this novel. The way that the author wrote the book may confuse someone reading the book if they stop reading for awhile. The way it is written it has a different persons view point each chapter. It didn’t confuse me but I also read it in about three days. The novel is not that long at all.

The novel is about students who go to a private school in Vermont called Avery Academy. The students party and drink and one night everything goes too far with a sex scandal that comes about. The students, parents, the headmaster, and the town all get into trouble because of this scandal. The parents find out that even though they pay for their children to go to a good school in hopes of keeping them out of trouble it still doesn’t work. At the beginning of the novel the reader will find out what the whole scandal is but as the reader keeps reading they will find that there is more to the whole story.

3 comments:

TheBookNurse said...

Hi -- I wrote a review on this book as well and it is posted on amazon.com if you'd like to read it.

http://www.amazon.com/Testimony-Novel-Anita-Shreve/product-reviews/0316059862/ref=cm_cr_dp_synop?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending#RV760OHR4YOEO

I liked the book too, pertinent for today's teenagers and the "sexting" issue.

Anonymous said...

This seems like an interesting book. Is it set in today's time?

Ana Stock said...

AWESOME BOOK! I loved this book! I kind of wondered while I was reading it whether their night of "fun" was labeled a sex crime and blown so out of proportion, just because the event occured at a private school. If this had taken place at the local public high school I doubt that it would have been blown up as much. I could be wrong but it seemed like the press wanted their nose in the story, because it occured at a private school and the kids are supposed to be more disciplined than other high schoolers. Definately recommend!