Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Walking on Glass by Alma Fullerton


Teens looking for a quick, superficial read should NOT pick up this book.

Although it is short, only 131 sparse pages of free verse, the depth and range of emotion expressed by the main character is heartrending and poignant. The theme of the book is about being caged -- by dreams, by choices, and by circumstance.

I actually read through this book several times -- it doesn't take long as there is really not much on the pages. It's only when I stopped to think about it that I started having questions.

Our unnamed narrator tells the story of the day he came home to find his mother swinging from the chandelier, broken glass all around. Nearly dead, she is rushed to the hospital where she lies day after day on life support. Meanwhile, the young man tries to go to school and continue on with his life though he feels trapped by his mother' s suicide attempt and his father's inability to deal with the situation. He starts to question whether turning off the machines that keep her heart pumping is really murder, and he analyzes how he missed the important clues and ignored the needs she had even as he mourns her loss. For a moment I wondered if there was the best friend Jack mentioned in the novel -- or was Jack really our narrator -- used to convey behaviors and thoughts that our narrator was too frightened or embarrassed or ashamed to admit to.

The tale left a lot more questions than it answered. Resolution was not simple. The reader is left wondering, "what would I do?"


Ms C.

5 comments:

Johanna said...

I read this last year quickly-I got it in 4th hour and finished it by 7th. I should pick it up again to ask these questions. From what I remember, I think Jack was real. Its strange for a teen to have no friends, and our narrator mentions no one except for Jack. And having that friend creates more tragedy in the story.

Ana Stock said...

I like the theme, because it is one that everyone can relate to some how or in some way. However, suicide is not my thing nor are unanswered questions. Maybe I am too judgemental of books.

Johanna said...

It doesn't focus on suicide too much. More on choices and lost hope. We should have a mini book club with us students and this book! It takes maybe a half hour to read!

Bryce f. said...

sounds like a thriller with some drama in it.. might just have to check it out.

Johanna said...

Everyone should check this out, like I said it takes literally a half an hour to read! I would be interested in a male point of view on this book.