Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Earth My Butt and Other Big Round Things - A review by Sarah Gnefkow



The Earth My Butt and Other Big Round Things
By Carolyn Mackler
4 Stars

The Earth My Butt and Other Big Round Things is a really good book. I started reading it and just couldn't put it down. I wish that i would have taken time to read it because it was one of those things that I just didn't want it to end. This book is definately one that I would recommend if you're looking for a fun, rebellious, but kind of out of the ordinary read. 

It is about a girl named Virginia Shreves who is a larger than average girl. Her favorite things to do are eat, make lists, email her best friend that moved to Walla Walla, and hook up with a boy named Froggy. Virginia (Gin for short) feels that no guy would ever want to be with her in public so she decides to follow the "Fat Girl Code of Conduct". Virginias family would be considered the 'perfect' family. Her mother is a popular therapist, her father a top executive, her sister Anais is in the Peace Corps, and her brother Byron is a god. Everyone looks the same in the Shreves family they are all tall, beautiful, blonde, and skinny, except for Virginia. Gin's mother pushes her to go on diets and be a skinny Shreve just like the rest of the family. But when a tragedy happens to her family involving Byron, Virginia rebels. 

This book is fun to read and it goes by pretty quick. It was definitely one that I have never read anything like it. It was pretty much a good book. I would definitely give this book 4 stars.

1 comment:

TheBookNurse said...

I see this was an award-winner -- may have to look into it. Can you give a little more description of the plot??