Monday, April 16, 2012

The Rules of Survival reviewed by Molly Varney

By: Nancy Werlin * * * * *

Matthew's rules of survival are 1. Sometimes, the people who mean you harm are the ones who say they love you 2. Fear is your friend. When you feel it, act 3. Protect the little ones 4. If you coped before you can cope now and 5. Always remember: In the end, the survivor gets to tell the story. These are the rules Matthew, Callie, and Emmy have to live by each day. Their mother, Nikki, is crazy they think. She says she loves them then goes and has one of her horrible fits. She'll lock them in their room for hours or dissapear for a couple days. None of them even think about telling someone else. Until one night, when Callie and Matthewsnuck out to get popsicles, they met Murdoch. You wouldn't look twice at him, he was just another man. But when he stood up to a man hurting his son in the store, Matthew felt someting. That was hope. Hope for a future without crazy Nikki, without having to watch what you say and how you say it. Where he could think about talking to girls and not keeping him and his sister out of harms way. Matthew's story begins with meeting a man who gave him hope for a future where he could be normal.

I thought this was a great book. The story was sad and almost scary sometimes but I enjoyed reading it. I liked how it was written, because Matthew was writing it all down after everything had happened and it was really cool. I really liked how all of the characters were portrayed. My favorite character was probably Matthew because he was the oldest and the strongest out of the three siblings. The story was very realistic and it held a very powerful message. It also wasn't very long and took me no time to finish it.

8 comments:

TheBookNurse said...

I like this author and I am glad you enjoyed the book! Check out her others -- all different.

Anonymous said...

This book looks very interesting! I hope that I am able to read it sometime.

Jordan Blount said...

This book looks interesting to read.

malcolm adair said...

this book looks interestinng just by looking at the cover i would like to read this

malcolm adair said...

this book looks interesting by the cover i would like to read this book

malcolm adair said...

this book looks interesting just by the cover it looks like it has a deep tale i would like to read this book

Jeremiah vassar said...

This book sound like a book that I would like to read because the cover looks like its going to be about a teen going through everyday struggles in high school.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a very relatable book for kids our age - though some more than others and hopefully none to the extent that is book suggests. The rules of survival are actually really accurate, and can be seen as themes in other books and quality pieces of advice in real life. I've always liked the books the hit on the touchy and very REAL topics the best of us face, so this book seems right up my ally. Surprised I've never seen it before in the library, I'm going to have to hunt this down and lose myself in the sad sounding book when I get the chance.