Sunday, May 19, 2013

Vixen--Reviewed by Stephanie Best


Vixen by Jillian Larkin
Reviewed by Stephanie Best


                                Three girls, three lives, one amazing era. Vixen is the story of three girl’s struggles through the crazy Jazz Age. Gloria, a beautiful young women and the envy of those around her, wants nothing but to be immersed in the flapper lifestyle. The only problem is that she is engaged to Sebastian, the closest thing Chicago has to aristocracy. Her cousin, Clara, has lived the lifestyle Gloria wants, and now has to pay the price. She is forced by her parents from her life in New York City, to plan Gloria’s wedding. If not, she would be sent to a girls’ reform school. Lorraine, Gloria’s best friend, has always been in the shadows behind perfect Gloria. She is in love with Marcus, Gloria’s like-a-brother friend, who hardly knows Lorraine exists. Will Gloria have her family’s happily ever after, or her version? Will Clara’s past come back to bite her even more than it already has? Will Lorraine find the spotlight she so badly longs for? Will each girl get what she wants, or will everything go horrible wrong?
                Vixen is the first novel in the Flappers series. The others in the series are Ingenue, and Diva. I rate Vixen four out of five stars. I love, love, love, reading about the time period. I think the 1920s were very interesting and I personally love books set in past eras. I like the characters, but the plot was just ok. I thought it was slow at times. It also reminded me too much of both of Anna Godbersen’s series the Luxe series and the Bright Young Things series, especially the latter because it too took place in Roaring Twenties. However, if you do like either of those series, or enjoy period piece novels, then I highly recommend this book.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an interesting book....I'm not much one for period novels, but this time period is certainly one I could see myself getting into. I like how all three characters are intertwined but have their own paths they go through in the book. Definitely something I would check out if I was going over this time period, and interested in a more fictitious storyline!

Anonymous said...

This is an interesting sounding book. I'm not into books that have multiple point of views, but I think this one has an interesting enough topic that I could get over that.

Anonymous said...

This book looks very interesting. I should read it sometime!

Anonymous said...

This book looks very interesting! I need to read it sometime!

Gabbi Cook said...

This seems like a good book!

Anonymous said...

We'll written review, honestly I might read this book it seems captivating.