Friday, September 20, 2013

Cutting for Stone Review by Shelby Gomez






Cutting for Stone - Reviewed by Shelby Gomez 


          The book Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese is a good read. This story begins with the birth of twin boys to a nun,Sister Mary Praise Joseph in a hospital in Ethiopia. Mary Praise Joseph dies during the birth of her children. While there father Thomas Stone who was the surgeon who delivered them. The twins Marion and Shiva are orphaned by there mother and father who disappears. The twins are raised by Hema and Ghosh, two Indian doctors. The boys grow up well loved and cared for to become doctors themselves. This story has mystery, is a love story, and a coming of age all tied into one.

          In my opinion I give the book  Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese four stars.This book would fall under the genre of literary fiction. I don't usually read this type of book I am more into fantasy. When I first started reading the book I had trouble getting into it because it started off slow. One thing I had trouble with was pronouncing the names correctly as I read through the book. I ended up using an audio version of the book which was absolutely fantastic. I enjoyed being able to follow along while someone was reading it. I also think it really helps with all of the characters names and the names of the different places. Also the book was a bit long and I don't recommend for a quick read. I found after reading more I really started to enjoy it. The story picked up and the writing was phenomenal. I will be looking for more work by this author. The story was captivating and I would recommend this book to a friend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a book I've wanted to eat for awhile but crazy and foreign names tend to drive me nuts while I'm trying to read a book! I still can't decide if I should read it or not.

TheBookNurse said...

Read it, Paige. It still is one of my all time favorite books!