Monday, September 16, 2013

Perks of Being a Wallflower-- Reviewed by Desarae Coffey



                                                   
Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
This book is about a fifteen-year-old boy named Charlie. Charlie has suffered a great tragedy of losing his best friend, Michel to suicide. Charlie is scared of starting high school alone which increases his anxiety levels. So Charlie starts writing to a stranger whose he never met in person but have told was nice and a great listener.
As Charlie begins high school his anxiety level increases but calms down a bit when he meets his English teacher who becomes his friend and even more so his mentor. As the days goes on he learns to overcome some of his shyness and meets Patrick. Patrick later becomes his best friend along with his step sister, Sam.
Sam and Patrick becomes Charlie’s life coaches in high school showing him the ropes, they force him to come out his shell. They help him become more social while letting him find himself. Charlie goes through his high school writing his own fate. Going on his first date, having his first kiss, and even getting into drugs. The drugs cause him to lose his best friends, but Charlie then gains them back for standing up for Patrick when he gets beat up showing his true side. At his first year comes to an end, and it gets closer to Sam and Patrick graduating Charlie finds himself.
We all go through this just in different ways but still having that one thing, finding ourselves in high school. I strongly, recommend this for any teenage struggling to find themselves. I personally can relate to this story. this year I was a transfer, coming in from St. Mary's High school. I was beginning my sophomore year at O'Hara. I started out very shy and didn't talk much to people, but lucky I had my best friend, Leah Eckart. She was my Sam and Patrick. She pushed me to join clubs and sports to become more social. I join book club and cross-country. Thanks to her, I am loving my sophomore year more and more every week. 

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

This books sounds very interesting and the movie was great!

TheBookNurse said...

I am looking forward to reading this and discussing it with book club. I definitely will see the movie as well!

Anonymous said...

This book is so good! I loved the twist at the end, I didn't see it coming at all.

Anonymous said...

I saw this movie last year and I really enjoyed it. I tried to read this book last year because I just couldn't find the time I hope I can find the time to read it soon!

Laci Hadggega said...

This book sounds very interesting and I would like to read it before I see the movie.

Nick Naudet said...

I have heard many positive comments about this book and movie, but I have not yet seen it myself! I intend on reading it when I find the time.

Unknown said...

I absolutely loved the plot twist at the end was extremely riveting!

Jillian Kimbrell said...

I loved this movie and I am looking forward to reading this book!

Anonymous said...

I loved this movie it made me look at life differently! Books are almost always better so I am really looking forward to reading this.

Rachel Yaros said...

I have not read this book or seen the movie but it sounds so interesting! I never thought the plot was anything like the description.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you that it was a good story but personally I disliked the writing style and I didn't like any of the characters except for the English teacher. I didn't like reading from Charlie's point of view and I felt like he was whiny and naive most of the time- two qualities I can't stand- and Sam and Patrick just didn't seem like healthy friends to me.

Anonymous said...

I loved reading this book! It almost felt like the book developed "Charlie" more than the movie actually did. But I did also love the movie as well. I thought your review was really written and made out a very nice description of this book. I am also glad that your sophomore year went well and that you came out of your shell like Charlie.

Anonymous said...

I really want to read this book. So many of my friends talk very highly of it and I think I'd really enjoy it. I think I'd be extremely anxious and confused if I had just dealt with the death of my best friend and having to deal with high school now too.