Friday, December 20, 2013

Ashfall reviewed by Paige Espinosa

 
 
 
     Alex is just one of those typical, unremarkable guys in high school who likes playing World of Warcraft and wishes he could get a date. That is, until the volcano in Yellowstone National Park finally erupts and the world is buried in ash. With no electricity, no indoor plumbing and a scarcity of clean water, Alex faces a trek through multiple feet of choking ash to find his family who were on a trip while he was left home alone during this catastrophe. Along the way, of course he meets a girl who travels with him and since the world is seemingly ending and there is no one of the opposite sex for miles around, you guessed it, there's a bit of a budding romance there.
     I gave this book three and a half stars because it was a believable and original apocalyptic storyline. My biggest issue was with a few characters who were just way too ridiculous for me. For example, the recently-released-from-prison-axe-murderer that just seems to pop up everywhere! Even Alex and his friend that's a girl, Darla, seem a bit ridiculous at parts. Darla is 17-almost-18 and is giving this 15-recently-turned-16 year old boy the time of day? All I can say is gross. As a girl Darla's age, I personally want nothing to do with guys younger than me. As an adult, that age difference is nothing but as a teenager, that's like a 5-10 year age gap! Despite some of the unbelievable parts of this book, I still might read the rest of this trilogy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being a huge fan of apocalyptic YA fiction, I've been so glad with the amount of books under this genre our library has been purchasing. This one in particular, didn't really catch my eye until recently on the display stand. I had read something about Yellowstone and it's volcano recently and thought that's as so bizarre, and now here's a book about it and the consequences of it going off! The only thing that might keep me away is the romance of course. Especially with a weird age gap like that....not something I want to be reading about. But still I might grab this book if I have some free time.

Anonymous said...

I think this book sounds good and would love to read it sometime.