Friday, December 20, 2013

The Fifth Wave reviewed by Paige Espinosa

   
     This is Cassie's story of survival and her efforts to rescue her brother- the only remaining member of her family. When the aliens came, they attacked in waves. After the first wave, electricity no longer worked. They second flooded the world. The third sickened most of the surviving human race. After the fourth, there is only silence. Cassie believes that to stay alive she must stay alone. Her trust in other humans has waned until the only person she wants to be around is her little brother who was taken from her. That is, until she finds herself in need of help and she must tolerate the presence of another human being in her otherwise solitary world.
     I gave this book four out of five stars because it was one of the most original books I have read in a long time. There were plot twists that actually shocked me and the characters even had histories that brought tears to my eyes. I read this book in one sitting and was totally enthralled the whole time but it lost a star because it got a bit unrealistic towards the end. I was also disappointed by the unoriginal boy-meets-girl-at-the-end-of-the-world story line. In that respect, it was a bit like Stephanie Meyer's The Host. Girl-with-a-little-brother-meets-attractive-and-protective-guy-while-aliens-take-over-earth really isn't all that original anymore. I definitely preferred Yancey's version over Meyer's and found Yancey's a whole lot more believable. These aliens aren't peaceful invaders, they want to kill us. Aliens seem pretty corny sometimes but this book definitely pulled off the alien invader story extremely well. (This book is also being made into a movie soon! Hopefully they won't ruin it...)

4 comments:

TheBookNurse said...

I have this to read on my Kindle. I'm looking forward to reading and discussing with you in the new year.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Okay so I had wanted to read and review this the second after I finished covering it and carding it, but Paige got to it before I did. :) but I still did read it, and I really loved it. Though not a scifi person, I loved the aliens-invaded-and-apocalypse-is-upon-us theme of it, I just wish they had focused on that, or at least built it up to be a bit creepier. It's not often you find books that leave you with chills, and I had assumed this was going to be one of those. Unfortunately not as much as I'd have liked, but I don't regret reading it either. The transitioning between two different main characters kept things fresh and interesting, because often you don't see what's currently happening with others in a book - you're left with flashbacks. Loved this book, an easy four/five stars, agreed!

Anonymous said...

I've heard a lot of good things about this book and I actually really want to read it. I agree it sounds very original and I think I would really enjoy it. It's interesting how the author set the attacks into "waves".