Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Jane Eyre ~ Reviewed by Elizabeth Barnes

"I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will."

 Image result for jane eyre book cover

Image result for 5 out of 5 stars



"Primarily of the Bildungsroman genre, Jane Eyre follows the emotions and experiences of its eponymous heroine, including her growth to adulthood and her love for Mr. Rochester, the Byronic master of fictitious Thornfield Hall. In its internalization of the action - the focus is on the gradual unfolding of Jane's moral and spiritual sensibility, and all the events are colored by a heightened intensity that was previously the domain of poetry - Jane Eyre revolutionized the art of fiction. Charlotte Bronte has been called the 'first historian of the private consciousness' and the literary ancestor of writers like Joyce and Proust. The novel contains elements of social criticism, with a strong sense of morality at its core."

I LOVED this novel. Jane Eyre is a respectable, yet fiery young woman that I wish I could be. It begins with a scary and well written childhood, and within a few chapters I could not put the book down. I have read classics that I have been so disappointed in, but this novel is truly worthy of the title "classic". The love story is so pure, and well worth waiting for. Mr. Rochester seems so unlikable at first, but you just can't help falling in love with him as the novel goes on. I was not crazy about St. John, but his purpose was necessary to give you a good scare. This novel gives great insight to the condition of living as a woman during this time period. Thank goodness that things have changed. I would have been very "strung up" if Reverend Brocklehurst had spoke to me the way he spoke to Jane. After I finished the novel, I wanted more even though the ending was perfect and filling. Beautifully written characters and Charlotte Bronte's style of writing is fantastic. 


I give this book a 5 out of 5 stars. 



No comments: