Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Book Club ~ 1st to Die (Women's Murder Club #1)

Book Club Discussion Questions

Please answer the questions in the comments section below. Label them with the question number.

1.) What did you think about Lindsay's character and her attitude? Did you identify with a specific character in the Women's Murder Club? 

2.) In the beginning of the book, the bride and groom killer is introduced. Did you find it amusing and entertaining how the author introduced the killer so early on? Did you enjoy reading the killer's point of view? 

3.) Throughout the book, Lindsay is suffering from a disease called Negli's aplastic anemia. How do you think this disease affected Lindsay? How would you have reacted if you were trying to solve a murder and fight a disease at the same time? 

4.) Lindsay, Cindy, Claire, and Jill are all in a group called the Women's Murder Club. What were your thoughts about this private club? Would you like to be part of a club like thiers? 

5.) Lindsay works as a homicide inspector for the San Francisco Police Department. What would you do if you had such a demanding and big job like hers? Would you be scared or thrilled? 

6.) What are your opinions about Chris Raleigh and his relationship with Lindsay? 

7.) Nicholas Jenks was the "suspected" killer at first, how did you react when Lindsay and the three girls questioned him about his past relationships and his bestselling book? Were you for sure that he was the killer? 

8.) Every time that someone new is killed, one thing ends up missing; the bride and groom's wedding rings. Why do you think the killer wanted to take and keep the rings? 

9.) How did you feel about the ending of the book? Did the real killer surprise you? Did Chris Raleigh's death surprise you? 

10.) Throughout the book two things happen: one being the romance between Lindsay and Chris Raleigh and the relationship between Lindsay, Cindy, Claire, and Jill. Second being the gory and gruesome scenes between Lindsay and the killer. What part was your favorite? Explain why. Would you be willing to read the next books in the series? 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

1.) I felt like Lindsay's character throughout the book, was almost intimidating. It takes a very strong woman to be a homicide detective. But, I also liked her character because she was such a strong woman. I liked to see her weaker side. I feel like when you see the weaker side of a person, it shows their real and true character. Out of all the four girls, I identified with Claire and Jill equally. I think Claire's job as a medical examiner is incredible. I have always thought that job would be so cool to do. I identified with Jill and her personality. She is feisty, stubborn, and strong willed. But she has a sensitive side like I do. I believe all of the woman were written in their own unique way.

Anonymous said...

2.) I loved how the bride and groom killer was introduced to the story so early on. It made the book even more exciting and entertaining. I also enjoyed reading the killers point of view throughout some of the chapters in the book. It made the book feel real. It also made you get an idea of who the killer really was.

Anonymous said...

3.) I think Negli's aplastic anemia affected Lindsay physically and emotionally. I believe physically, she was very run down and weak. Emotionally I believe she was scared that this disease could end up killing her. I found it amazing how Lindsay was able to work on such a hard case and tackle her disease at the exact same time. I loved how her friends were there for her during her battle with this disease. If I was put in Lindsay's shoes, I would have had a really hard time tackling both my job and my disease that could possibly kill me. I know it has got to be a very scary feeling.

Anonymous said...

4.) I thought the idea of a women's murder club was brilliant. I also liked to picture the women getting together at their favorite restaurant and discussing their current problems. It reminded me so much of my close friends and myself. I would love to be part of a club like theirs. It is an amazing feeling to have a good support system. Lets not forget a support system that will help you solve a murder case.

Anonymous said...

5.) I have never pictured myself as a homicide inspector, but if I could try it for one day I would! I would be out of my mind scared, but I feel eventually I would be thrilled to solve a case that I worked so hard on. I think it takes a special human being, like Lindsay, to tackle this job head on.

Anonymous said...

6.) At first I honestly believed that Chris Raleigh was going to be the typical jerk homicide inspector. But I was SO wrong. I was also wrong for believing that he was the killer. Who knows why I thought that in the first place. For Lindsay, I think Chris was good for her. She had been through a messy divorce and she was so focused on her work, and I think Chris took her out of that depressing bubble she had been living in for quite some time. Chris made her adventurous, fearless, and kind of goofy. She seemed like a teenage girl in love for the first time. I adored them together. I enjoyed how happy they made each other feel. You saw a brand new woman in Lindsay when he came around. I wanted them to eventually get married, but that fantasy fell very short.

Anonymous said...

7.) Nicholas Jenks was a very difficult character to read. I wanted to know more about him, but James Patterson did not fulfill that request for me. His past with beating up his ex-wife was bizzare. And do not even get me started about the book he wrote. So strange. I did not understand why a person like Nicholas Jenks would kill brides and grooms. To me, it felt like a female committed the murders by the way the killer left the crime scene (Ex: Being scared to death and ending up wetting their pants after shooting a gun). Does not sound like a grown sick twisted man. I knew right off the bat that Nicholas Jenks was not the killer. Come on! It is James Patterson after all. The king of twists and turns in every page.

Anonymous said...

8.) The rings being taken from every crime scene was strange and confusing to me at first, and actually still is a little bit. This was a turning point for me because it gave me a bigger hint of who the killer might be. To me, it had to be a female. I feel like females have respect for just married couples. Stealing the rings could have been a sign of respect or sympathy. Or it could have been the other way around. Maybe the killer wanted to take the rings for money, or for maybe a sick twisted joke of some sort.

Anonymous said...

9.) The ending of the book was emotional and a tad bit shocking. I knew something tragic was going to happen to an important character. Unfortunately Chris Raleigh was shot and killed by the bride and groom murderer. At that moment, my heart completely broke for Lindsay. I mean, what else could go wrong for this woman?! When the killer was revealed, my jaw dropped to the floor. I knew the killer was a female, but Nicholas Jenks current wife? What the heck! I liked her character, and felt sorry for her for having to put up with Jenks! I did not feel sorry for her at the end AT ALL, and I cheered when Lindsay put an end to her. What a good way to end such a gripping story.

Anonymous said...

10.) I found myself while reading enjoying both parts equally. I loved the relationship between Lindsay and Chris. I also enjoyed reading the friendship between the four girls as well. I also loved the excited feeling and nervous feeling while reading tense sections between the girls and the killer. The last part of the book was so gripping that I felt like I was right there with Lindsay running up and down staircases trying to hunt down the killer in the building. Those moments are why I enjoy reading and why I enjoy how certain books will pull you in within the story. Such a good feeling! I am currently on book number three of this series, and I do not pplan to stop reading them at anytime soon.