Friday, January 23, 2009

Over the End Line by Alfred C. Martino


I. Did. Not. Like. This. Book.
** stars

That's right -- I didn't like this book. Reviewing it for amazon was hard because to explain my rating I'd have to describe the ending and my reaction to it. In truth, I can't recommend that teens read it except for perhaps shock value -- and still not sure what the moral of the story is supposed to be. Wrongs do not make a right in this case, no matter what the motive. There is no justification for what happened, no matter any twisted logic.

Until the end, the book was OK. Way too much description of soccer -- soccer stars, games, moves, play by play. I suppose if you like that sort of thing in your novels -- say you're a boy on a soccer team -- then you might enjoy the details. The characters were not fleshed out and seemed to be present just to represent the typical picture of jocks and the popular high school kids -- in the woods, partying, drinking and getting high. You know, the ones no one actually likes but the ones that everyone wants to be with in high school, the "in" crowd.

The story moved very slowly building to a climax that ends up being almost unbelievable. This was not a story about friendship, it was a story about misguided revenge and some young psychopaths. I can't begin to say how disappointing and frustrated I was by what the author chose to do with these characters.

I personally was left with a very bad feeling after reading this book and I would not purchase it for our school library. I like the YA literature that I read to have a purpose, and although the author belatedly tries to justify the novel, I didn't buy into it. So much more could have been done to explain what friendship is, and how it reacts in the face of events that occurred in the book. It could have been an opportunity to show teens how do deal with friends who exhibit bad behavior, but it missed its chance and thus -- the mark.

I need someone else to read this and check their reaction. Any takers?
P.S. Chance, we were both wrong about the shocking ending.

Grade: Fail
Denise Crawford

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do like soccer but I don't think that I would like to read about soccer. I don't like soccer that much I am more into playing the sport then watching or reading it. I agree that a guy on a soccer team or someone that is really into soccer would enjoy reading about it. Good luck Chance.

Meaghan

Chance N said...

Wow, i think i should read this book, you know, being a guy wow plays soccer (ish). i mean you pretty much described what every guy wants to do with his life.

I know, its just a book with no point, or at least thats what it sounds like, but most guys dont really have any "point" besides just being with friends, getting a girl they like and partying instead of homework. Seems like a pretty good representation of the average teen guy

Anonymous said...

I just finished reading this book last night and I can say from a teen guy's perspective it is far more interesting than the way Mrs. Crawford painted it. See my full review on 1-30-09.

Chance

csifuentes@oharahs.org said...

I like soccer but I don't think I would like the book