Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Johanna Kelly's Book Review

What I Saw and How I Lied

By Judy Blundell

*** 1/2 Stars

This book takes place in the late 1940’s, about a year after WWII ended. The main character, Evie, is a young teenager. She doesn’t think of herself as beautiful, like her mother. Her mother is young and immature. Her stepfather just came back from the war, and wants to take the family to Florida. They travel to Florida, where they stay for a while.


In Florida, a web of lies is unraveled. Evie is left to make all kinds of decisions; she needs to find out if the ones she loves are truly the ones she knows. Overall, this book is worth reading. As a reader, I felt as if I wanted what Evie wanted, I identified with her. I can see why she made the decisions she made.

However, it is rather slow-moving. It took me a week to finish; it's not a page-turner. Others may find What I Saw and How I Lied to be more suspenseful than I did.

3 comments:

TheBookNurse said...

It was fun arguing about this book with you. It's a great one for discussion -- certainly leaves much to think about after you've turned the last page on the story. I liked it a lot -- except for...

Anonymous said...

Yes, I know. I was very satisfied with the outcome.

TheBookNurse said...

If anyone wants to see my review, it's on Thursday, December 11, 2008.