Friday, February 20, 2009

Johanna Kelly's Book Review

The Lovely Bones

By Alice Sebold

5 stars *****

The Lovely Bones is an amazing story. I felt as if I knew the characters personally. I could feel the main character, Susie’s, strong love for the ones she knew on earth. Susie is talking to us in heaven. She was raped and murdered, and she watches the lives of those on earth.


The author, Alice Sebold, writes so well. The Lovely Bones to me was not a page-turner, but rather a book that I had to digest in sections. The words are overwhelming. I had to often tell myself that this is just a story, it didn’t really happen. I loved reading a book where the main character was deceased, rather than reading about a person who was alive and able interact freely with people. Susie really wanted to help her family; her death seemed to tear them apart.

If you haven’t read The Lovely Bones, I highly recommend checking it out. Also, a movie is being made and will be released later this year.

1 comment:

TheBookNurse said...

I really liked this book, too, and found some really great quotes that linger long after turning the last page. It's one I like to recommend.