Saturday, January 16, 2010

Deadline by Chris Crutcher


4.0 out of 5 stars Fall in love with Ben...his last year, January 16, 2010


I think young adults and teens will enjoy this book about 18-year-old Ben's last year. During a routine sports physical, Ben finds out that he has a terminal illness and that, with or without aggressive medical intervention, he has about a year left to live. It's his senior year in high school and he decides not to tell anyone about the diagnosis and to forgo treatment. He has a few goals in mind, primarily to play football with his beloved brother and to get a date with his crush, the gorgeous volleyball player Dallas Suzuki.

Things don't go quite as he planned, but he does manage to cram a lot of life into the few months he has. The main part of the book centers on his interactions with his family, Dallas Suzuki, his friends, team members and other residents of the small town where he lives. Definitely the author crams a lot of discussion worthy themes into this novel including such topics as sexual molestation, abuse, racism, mental illness, and teen pregnancy. Ben's actual disease is never really identified nor is it the central subject of the book. The main premise of the book seems to be about relationships and not keeping secrets. There's a lot of semi-religious overtone, and at times, the discussion about Malcolm X seems to go on for far too long as do the descriptions of the football games and the American History classes.

All in all, a very enjoyable read. Recommend.

7 comments:

Jo Burdett said...

Im Going to start reading this tonight! Cant wait, you'll get my reaction tomorrow!

Johanna said...

I loved this book so much when I read it, but I see the same flaws. However, Staying Fat For Sarah Byrns and Whale Talk are the best books I've read, also by Chris Crutcher.

Ana Stock said...

I have only read a few chapters so far, but I really like how it is moving along so far. It is almost humorous how he refuses to believe the doctor and feels that his parents cannot handle the news, come on they are your parents, they will not be shocked by anything, maybe sad but not shocked. I'll let you know what I think, all post back.

Ian Zig. said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I loved the way crutcher bluntly states the situation and gives the basic end all in the beginning. I think it was a fantastic idea to put a more real-life spin into it. My only disappointment was that he didn't write a scene where Ben dies, mostly because I like reading how the author interprets someone dying. Overall, it was a great book and I would relish reading it again.

George Morejon said...

I want to read this book. It seems like Crutcher is someone who knows how to write a book that's 'in the moment'. And while this book has that cliché of 'You only have X months to live', this time it's different because Ben sets goals and wants to get them done.

Bryce F. said...

seems like it would be a book i'd be interested in. Since the character's my age and he's into sports.

Tanner McDermott said...

This book sounds intruiging and interesting.