Sunday, January 3, 2010

North of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headley


5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning and wonderful..., January 3, 2010


Wow. My first read of 2010 is a winner! This YA novel is a jewel, a treasure of a book that will resonate with females from 5 to 50. Yes, it's ostensibly the story of a teenaged girl with a port wine stain on her face, but it's so much deeper than that. The reader follows Terra on a journey of self-discovery that includes revelations about the nature and meaning of true beauty.

It's somewhat the story of a dysfunctional family with an abusive father, yes -- but also about a mother who's a compulsive eater, distant brothers, an inattentive boyfriend, a self-absorbed best girlfriend, and a self-loathing main character who spends her free time making up her face and creating collages in a local art studio. It's also about meeting that one special someone who "gets you".

Terra meets Jacob after almost running him down outside of a coffeehouse. Thus begins the transformation of a lonely, controlled but ambitious girl into "iron goddess". Using map-making terminology throughout, North of Beautiful is an amazingly complex novel loaded with many interesting details. Terra, Jacob and their mothers embark on a trip to China that exceeds all expectations and transforms each of the travelers into the person he/she was ultimately meant to be. Just as Terra builds her collages, layer upon layer, the experiences each has in that country reveal the hidden beauty that every person carries inside.

I loved this book. Stop reading this review right now and order it. Read it and love it as I did. Pass it on to everyone you know!

6 comments:

Johanna said...

I think I might want to read this! Sounds like it has a happy ending, which usually doesn't happen in books I read.

Ana Stock said...

This sounds like my kind of story! I am really excited about North of Beautiful and I plan on pulling it off the shelf tomorrow!

Jo Burdett said...

I might want to read this. Im usually not into the books about self-discovery, but 2010 is a new year, so why not try a new book? I usually love the book you reccomend to me, Ms. Crawford, so I'll give it a try soon!

Johanna said...

I read the back cover, and for some reason it doesn't hit me as my type of book. I don't know, I'll give it a try--eventually.

George Morejon said...

These self discovery novels have a lot of room to try different things. It seems like this one tries older ways and then adds some successful new twists. Good book for the beginning of 2010.

Amy Lyon said...

I loved this book, definitely earned all 5 stars...an absolutely stunning book, in more ways than one. I hope this author writes more.