Thursday, January 14, 2010

Johanna Kelly's Book Review

Hold Still
By Nina LaCour
*** stars

Your best friend committed suicide the week before final exams. You don’t take your finals. You can only think about her throughout the summer. You wonder what you could have done to stop her. You know you can’t bring her back. Life has to go on.
This happened to a girl, Caitlin. Her life was perfect; she lived in a suburb of San Francisco, in a big beautiful house. She is very close to her best friend, Ingrid. They did everything together, and they shared the same passion—photography. However, Ingrid fell into a depression that tore her apart. Now, Caitlin has to live on with a big hole in her heart.
I gave this book three stars because it was an interesting read, however, pieces were missing. Honestly, it seemed a little too perfect. Quickly into the book, Caitlin makes new friends, goes to school, and succeeds in most classes. Of course, she keeps thinking about Ingrid, but it doesn’t tear her apart as it would me and most teens, in my opinion.
I would suggest this book to a person who doesn’t want a book with a happy, superficial plot, but who doesn’t want to think too deeply about depressing subjects. This book did not make me think too much afterwards, which I like books to do.

10 comments:

TheBookNurse said...

I think that the author wrote this book after the success of Asher's 13 Reasons Why -- it's a book to give and recommend to someone who was wanting another book about suicide in high school.

Jo Burdett said...

If this book is three stars because it doesnt connect emotionally with the reader about how much suicide hurts another person, then I dont want to read it. Book like that are written to make an impression on people, and this book obviously didnt make a huge impression on you.

Johanna said...

No, it didn't, however, I've read so many of these types of books. I have become so critical of stories and details that it just didn't connect with me as much as others. 13 Reasons Why is so much better. At least I thought so when I read it last year!

Ana Stock said...

I like books that teach, ones that do not necessarily require tons of thought but ones that when you put it down it leaves a lasting impression. I am typically not a big fiction reader so I am more critical of young adult fiction I think, but I have a funny feeling that I would not make it past the first few chapters of this book. Once again, nice review Johanna, but this does not sound like a read for me.

Johanna said...

Thank you. Same here! Books have to have an impact on me for me to really like them.

Nallely said...

This book sounds good on some levels but for the most part you can already see the outcome. I wouldn't mind reading this but too much drama and stuff like that isn't my thing. Sounds good though. I like more action and what not type of books. XD

Johanna said...

It is nice to re-read this review after our discussion on 13 Reasons Why. This book focuses less on blaming other people, but more on the awareness of clinical depression. She admits that no one did anything to her to make her kill herself, however, she has several signs of depression. I think the book talks about meds, and that they didn't work for her.

Hope Austin said...

I've read both Hold Still and 13 Reasons Why and I can't see any parallels between the two. Sure, both deal with the aftermath of a sucide, but the similarities end there. This book is about moving on and still being able to see beauty even after the darkest point in your life. 13 Reasons was more about how even the littlest thing you do can have a big impact over soemone's life.

Bryce F. said...

I don't think this book is one i'll give a try. i'm kind of tired of reading depressing stories..

Johanna said...

I am tired of suicide stories. Mental illness is a tough condition to write about in my opinion, unless the author is battling one themselves.