Friday, January 15, 2010

Johanna Kelly's Book Review

Staying Fat For Sarah Byrns

By Chris Crutcher

*****stars

Eric Calhoune has no friends. He is an outcast due to his large size. Then, in junior high he meets Sarah Byrns. Sarah Byrns’s name is synonymous with her condition. She has full body burns due to a mysterious accident that happened when she was three years old. They have each other to cope with bullying; they also fight back with a newspaper, Crispy Pork Rinds, which spreads outrageous rumors about the terrible people in their lives.
A few years go by, and Eric is a senior in high school. Sarah Byrns would be, but she fell into a catatonic state that has lasted over a year. Eric visits Sarah at the psychiatric hospital and talks to her, as if she is listening and talking back.
Eric joined the swim team, and started losing weight. He feels better, makes friends, and has confidence. However, he gorges himself so he can keep his weight high. He needs to stay “ugly” so he and Sarah Byrns can stay outcasts and relate to each other. He stays fat for her, even in her catatonic state. This explains the title.
This book is so multi layered; Chris Crutcher has made an impact on me once again with this fantastic book. Many issues are dealt with, including psychiatric problems, human rights, bullying, child abuse, alcoholism, premarital sex, religion, and many more. Crutcher doesn’t push beliefs on you; he makes you think about all the perspectives on issues, and helps you to better form your beliefs. This book is seventeen years old. However, I felt like I was there; the time difference doesn’t matter. If I could give Staying Fat For Sarah Byrns more than five stars, I would. If you are interested in this type of story, go read Deadline; it’s our book club book for this month!

4 comments:

TheBookNurse said...

I know I'm enjoying Deadline now. You're going to be the resident expert on Chris Crutcher -- this field trip will be fun!
Good review!

Johanna said...

Yes it will! I can't wait until my books come in. I have Stotan! but I don't have time to read it too much today.

Ana Stock said...

Oh my goodness, the poor kids! Chris Crutcher must have a fascination with diseases and ailments. Johanna, props on your review! I really like your style!

Johanna said...

Thank you! Actually, Chris Crutcher has a degree in psychology and sociology and works as a therapist. I think his focus is on how disabilities, differences, etc. play into our lives.