Monday, April 5, 2010

Jo Burdett's Book Review

Liar

By Justine Larbalestier

***

Liar by Justine Larbalestier is a different, and somewhat difficult book to read. From the very beginning, Micah, her main character insists that she is a liar. That she cant stop, the lying comes as naturally as breathing to Micah. The first thing she tells the reader is that she was born with a light covering of FUR on her body. Remebering that Micah is a liar, the reader will push it aside. But she continues to drop hints that something is wrong with her. That she’s different. But, reading the book is the only way you will find out if something is, because I refuse to spoil it for you.


I didn’t like this book. The fact that Micah is unreliable as a narrator because of her lying affected me deeply. While she is a compelling character, who wants to get out of her life’s situation, from her mean parents and her life in general, she is a blatant liar. She admits to it. But her admission could also be a lie. Which is why I found difficulty reading the book. I couldn’t discern the lies from the truth. Having to constantly second guess myself, and having to reread some passages got so annoying, that by the end of the book, I was so upset that there wasn’t even a clear HONEST ending, that I had wished I hadn’t picked up the book.


But, the story itself is a good story. Zach, Micah’s ‘boyfriend’, is brutally killed, and Micah’s relationship with Zach is questioned from the beginning. It becomes clear that Micah was the ‘other woman’ for Zack, while another girl was the legit girlfriend. Micah reveals that her parents are abusive, they stick her in a cage, and that upstate really means a holding facility. But, with Micah, you cant tell if she’s lying or not. At least, I never could. Which could be considered a plus by many, but not by me. Maybe her being a liar is the key to me not liking this book, Im used to each book I read to be the ‘truth’. To not have to keep hearing a different story each time. Not having to wonder if the story the narrator is telling is a lie or if it’s the truth.


I would only recommend this book to someone who wont let the lies get to them. Unlike me.

6 comments:

TheBookNurse said...

I don't know if you knew this, Jo, but Justine Larbalestier is the wife of...guess who?? Scott Westerfeld!

Johanna said...

This sounds so complicated. I'm not planning to pick it up. Thats funny--that two authors are married. I wonder if they inspire each other.

Ana Stock said...

"a light covering of FUR on her body" BAHAHAHA! I really do not enjoy books where someone is brutally killed and the whole book focuses on blamming people for the murder la-di-da-di-da. It is just upsetting and totally unenjoyable...sorry!

Amy Lyon said...

Sometimes, authors really shouldn't experiment...too often it turns out badly. Thanks for the heads up.

Ian Zig. said...

I hate it when a book isn't straight with you, and that sounds like you can't even get a good solid ending! I'm certainly not going to read it, thanks for the input.

Aspen Gates said...

I will admit that this book was pretty different and difficult to read. It seemed like it was taking forever just to make a point. And then it was a total shocker when she 'supposedly' reveals who she really is. Not quite sure on who I would recommend this to.