Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Daughter of Smoke and Bone reviewed by Molly Varney

By: Laini Taylor *****

Karou's life, she thought, was simple enough. From her naturally blue hair to her ex-boyfriend who wouldn't leave her alone. Except for her family, which consisted of four Chimaera, monsters people would only think about in stories. In Karou's world, getting called in to go to Paris or a place on the other side of the world to get teeth is normal. She has no idea what Brimstone, the one who raised her, uses them for. She doesn't find it unusual since she was raised by these monsters. She spends most of her time drawing them and showing them to her friends at school who think they are just Karou's wild imagination. If someone asked Karou's friends what they knew about her, they couldn't tell you much since Karou couldn't tell them where she was from. When black hand prints start to show up on doors all around the world, Karou's life is about to be shattered and she is suddenly thrown into another world and its ongoing war. Soon, she'll get all the answers to her questions, but what will happen when she knows the truth?

So I loved this book! It was really different than all other books I've read. It was a pretty big book but it is completely worth reading. It was kind of twisted but it was such a good story. I loved Karou's character because she was funny and very surprising. The book has a lot of twists so it never had a dry moment and was full of action, drama, and over all was completely amazing.

4 comments:

TheBookNurse said...

I had read reviews of this book on amazon and decided to buy it based on the overwhelmingly positive reactions to it. Glad you liked it! I may have to check it out.

Anonymous said...

This looks good! Nice review! I like the color, it matches the book in a way.

Anonymous said...

Molly! I felt the same way when I read this book! I absolutely loved it! XD

Anonymous said...

I had to do this book for an English project last year. This is one of the best books I've read. I love how unique and original it is. Universal has also recently picked it up to be made into a movie. I'm so excited! I highly suggest reading this book!