Monday, March 3, 2014

Red Rising reviewed by: Portia Rockers

 
Red Rising is about a guy named Darrow who is a Helldiver and a Red. A Helldiver is a person who lives in a cave under the surface of Mars, there are about a thousand people who are Helldivers. In this society it is a color coded caste system, red being the lowest. Many generations of Helldivers have worked in the mines all their lives for precious minerals that will allow the planet to be transformed. For the mine workers knowing the planet will some day be habitual is enough for there sacrifice. The Earth is dying out, and Mars is the only hope the human race has left. But when Darrow finds out that Mars has been inhabited for generations, by a group called the Golds. They think of the Helldivers as slave labor, and don't realize all the good that they do. The Helldivers have a rebellion, and disguise Darrow as a Gold and goes to there school, planning to be the eyes on the inside. The command school is basically a battle field, and no one can really be trusted.

I gave Red Rising five stars because this book really deserves it. Every page made me want to find out more about the book. The story had some gruesome aspects to it, but I think they were really important to the story. A lot of story was high stakes, and the way the society was set up reminded me of the Hunger games without totally copying it. I did like that the author did not try and squeeze a love triangle in the book like so many authors do. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good story. If you like this book you would also like The Hunger Games and The Enders GameRed Rising is also part of a trilogy, the second book is called The Rising Son and the third is not out yet, but I cant wait to read the second.           

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the fact that this book mixes like otherworldly genre plus dystopian genres, which are two very different things. Using color coding in social classes and such sounds cool, but I wanted to know more about how they do that. It sounds like a very rebellious type book, and I hope I get the chance to read it in the future.

Anonymous said...

I would be sort of nervous about reading a book that is a completely different world like this but it seems like the author explained everything really well and I would love to give it a try!