Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Trafficked Review by Paige Espinosa

     Imagine finally being given the opportunity to better your life and then finding out it was all a sham. Hannah is just a simple girl from Moldova, trying to help her ailing grandmother while working through the deaths of her parents and disappearance of her uncle. When given the chance to go to America and work as a nanny while attending school and learning English, Hannah's only option is to say yes! She never would have guessed that she would be sold into a human trafficking operation and kept as a modern-day slave in a country that for so long had represented freedom to her.
     I gave this book four out of five stars because it was different from any other book I've read recently. It was refreshing to read something out of the ordinary and something that was so realistic! It really inspired me to think about all the immigrants I come into contact with on a daily basis at work and just out and about around the city and wonder what they went through to come here. At times, I was irritated by the halting English spoken by the characters but overall it was a well-written book! The story wasn't bogged down with unnecessary romance and although the ending left a lot to the reader's imagination, it didn't hint at a sequel which I appreciate since almost every book turns into a series that gets way too dragged out. Although it took a little while for me to really get into this book, it was worth the read and I would recommend it to anyone looking for something different to read.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is one of those very different YA books that I almost would've assumed isn't an actual YA book. The topic of an immigrants on, and then human trafficking doesn't seem necessarily in line with subjects teen books touch on, but I'd love to check this book out. You would think the story is just going in the direction of her struggle in America as a foreign person, but then it completely changes into something more serious. I like the sound of it. Great review!

Anonymous said...

Not a lot of young adult books are about immigrants and human trafficking so it makes me curios about the book. I think I would really enjoy reading it.