Tuesday, November 24, 2015

These Shallow Graves~ Reviewed by Hailey Hinrichs


"If you're going to bury the past, bury it deep girl. Shallow graves always give up their dead."

           Jo Montfort has always lived a simple life. Growing up in a rich, sophisticated family, Jo's life has mostly been laid out for her. She'll get married, have a family, and live the rest of her life in the shadows of her husband. But she doesn't want that kind of life. Reading the articles from world renowned Nellie Bly has made her strive to become a reporter. But when her father suddenly dies, the cops say it is due to him accidentally shooting himself in the head with a revolver while he was cleaning it, but Jo knows her father was too smart to make that mistake. When she meets Eddie- a handsome, young reporter- she pairs with him to solve the real cause of her fathers murder. As she uncovers more and more truths about his death, she learns no ones past ever stays buried.
    
            I LOVED this book so I gave it 5 out of 5 stars. I've never really tried to read many murder-mystery books, but this one grabbed my attention so quickly. I never wanted to put it down. The characters were amazingly developed, the plot was so interesting, and every time they uncovered some type of clue, it left you wondering what was going to happen next. I love Jennifer Donnelly's writing style and I'll definitely be looking into more of her books. I'd recommend this book to anyone who loves thrillers or mystery books. You will not be disappointed reading this book.







3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really liked this review! I think this book is something that I definitely have to read!

TheBookNurse said...

I have two other books by this author in our library for you to check out! Glad you liked this one.

Anonymous said...

I already like murder mysteries so I was probably going to check it out eventually, but your review sends it to be top of my list. The synopsis at the beginning is a nice blend between informative but not giving up too much about it. Is there any particular reason this grabbed your attention? I also liked the quote from the beginning, what is the source?