Thursday, February 4, 2016

Firsts--Reviewed by Sarah Roberts









"People aren’t a chemistry experiment you can tinker with until the proportions are just right.
People are terrifying that way.”

Your first time is something that is not only a big step, but also utterly terrifying. Some people desperately wish that there was some way to get ready or even practice, without their girlfriend or boyfriend finding out. I mean they just want to give that one special person the perfect special time.

Enter Mercedes Ayres.

Seventeen year old Mercedes Ayres gives boyfriends that chance to get the awkward first time over with, and open the door to giving their girlfriends perfect first time. Only catch is the guy has to be a virgin and he can't ever speak of his adventure with Mercedes to anyone. Of course the boys are fine with the secrecy, except for Zach who seems to want more from Mercedes than she is willing to give.

Everything seems to be going quite well that is until Charlie, Mercedes's best friend Angela's boyfriend, wants a turn. Suddenly, Mercedes little "tutoring" becomes public. All Mercedes secretes come to light and she isn't ready for it.

Join Mercedes as she tries to find out who she really is, battles the hatred from her fellow girl classmates, and even love.

I gave this book five stars because I absolutely loved it! This book captured topics that seem to be felt through out high schoolers all over the world. There's self-esteem issues, sexuality issues, bullying, love, and becoming comfortable with our bodies. This book made me really think about things in my life that I have done, and the real thoughts behind them. It gives you an inside view of what people really feel about themselves and how they think their actions affect other people's lives.


Ms. Crawford, I think we should purchase this book because not only does it show you the affects of sexual activity on a teen, but also the affects on the partner of the sexually active teen. This book does not just cover sex, but it also covers the thought process of a teen and how they feel the need to be loved in order to love themselves. It shows us that sex is not supposed to be used for feeling pleasure or a false sense of happiness, but rather for the purpose of expressing your love for the one person you believe will be your first and only love. This book also lets us see the bad affects that sex has on a person, and what multiple sexually partners can really do to a person. I think this book will have a great affect on my fellow peers and believe that this book should be incorporated into our library. This needs to be experienced by our young adults in order to help them find their way through high school and the pressure of sex at our age. 



6 comments:

TheBookNurse said...

Hmmmm, I will think about it. You really loved it, though, I can tell!

Anonymous said...

Sarah and Denise-

Sarah- beginning your review with that quote really drew me in to the review. As I read, I thought: "How provocative!" yet your rationale at the end, asking Mrs. Crawford to purchase the book had me wanting to read it to see if it gives the needed insight for teens in regards to this topic. Did it change how viewed this topic?

Denise- I can see where you might have to think about it; however, I think we need more conversation about this topic with our students. It cannot go ignored. I am not sure how or where that needs to happen, but if it has to happen via literature then so be it!

Katherine Barrera said...

This book seems very interesting and covers topics that a lot of people don't really want to talk about. Your review grabbed my attention and really gave me a feel for the book. I will think about reading this for my next personal reading!

TheBookNurse said...

It always makes me a little nervous to buy books for the library that are so controversial and with the topic so obvious! Definitely it's a topic that MUST be discussed with students and you're right -- via literature is always a way.

Anonymous said...

Miss Carnes,

This book really does allow teens to have an insight on a subject that may feel very uncomfortable to talk about and even read about. I for one at first thought that this book would make me feel weird or awkward but in reality it made me think about my actions or decisions in regards to the subject matter.

I believe this book will be a great help to teens in our school, and will give them insights the never really thought about.

Anonymous said...

It honestly isn't a book I would ever read but I do agree it would give some insight to the students here.