Monday, May 9, 2016

Ink and Bone~ Reviewed by Hailey Hinrichs




"There is no place in the world for librarians who lack the will to defend books against wars, rebels, and Burners. Books cannot fight for themselves."

             In a world where personal ownership of books is forbidden, Jess Brightwell and his family are involved in a thriving black market where illegal books are sold. The Great Library is the main source of knowledge in every major city and it is where any literature in all of history can be obtained instantly on a blank, which is like a tablet where any book can be sent for you to read.

             Jess has been used as a delivery boy for his father for years to deliver illegal books to his customers. But when Jess begins to decide against taking over his father’s business, he is sent by his family to be a spy in the Library's service. When he meets new friends and begins to understand the worth of the library more, his loyalties are put to the test. Especially his loyalties to the people who control the Great Library. When a member of his training group creates a new device that could destroy the foundation of the Library, Jess realizes that the leaders of the Library will do anything to preserve the knowledge of the Library, even if that means sacrificing human lives.

             This book was very interesting so I gave it 4 out of 5 stars. I loved that the topic of this book was about all books being virtual because I feel like it is something that may very well happen. Technology is advancing and SO MANY things are on a computer that most people don't even think to pick up a book anymore. I liked this new world Rachel Caine created and I definitely think that the whole process of the Library was very well developed. There were a few twists in the book that I didn't expect but I really did like and it definitely got me to keep wanting to read more to find out what would happen next. I would recommend this book to any of my friends and I would definitely recommend this book be bought for our library. I'm looking forward to reading the next book in this series Paper and Fire!

No comments: