Monday, December 13, 2010

Angelmonster -- review by Hope Austin

Angelmonster
by Veronica Bennett
****

The year is 1814. Sixteen-year-old Mary is the daughter of radical philosophers, one of whom passed away. She blames herself for her mother's death. Her whole life changes when charming poet Frank Shelley walks into her father's bookstore. Mary is instantly smitten. Even though Shelley is already married and has one child, Mary agrees to run away to Europe with him. On their adventures, they encounter the likes of fellow poets like Byron and Keats. As the story goes on, we see that Shelley is not the amazing man he was built up to be. What ensues is a life of scandal, sex, drugs, and inevitable tragedy.

The story is a fictionalized account of Mary Shelley's life from the time she meets her husband to the time she writes Frankenstein. What I really loved about this story was that it wasn't just about Mary Shelley's life; if you knew nothing about her or Frankenstein, the story reads like a naive girl slowly discovering that her lover isn't the Prince Charming she thought he was. I'm not sure if I would recommend this book to fans of historical romance. On one hand, it is basically a historical romance, but on the other, it's so much more than that. Overall, it's a good read.

5 comments:

TheBookNurse said...

This actually sounds interesting! I might have to pick it up one day. Good review, Hope. You'll need to tell me how it ends!

Amy Lyon said...

But....never mind. I'm not sure I'd want to read about this. While it sounds fictionalized, it's still about a real person. I prefer fictious characters, real people seem like a school assignment.

Ian Zig. said...

That sounds like a absolute girl book.. maybe I'll read it.. jk But I would like to know how drugs come into the story during that time period.

Aspen Gates said...

It does sound like it would be an interesting read however not quite sure I'd pick it up.

Halea Coulter said...

This sounds like an amazing book, I knew she wrote Frankenstein so even though this is fictionalized, it still sounds like a good story, I definitely need to read it before graduation.