Thursday, December 2, 2010

Princess of the Midnight Ball --- a review by Amy Lyon


Princess of the Midnight Ball
by Jessica Day George

****

Its the Twelve Dancing Princesses with a twist.
Rose and her sisters have a secret, and so far, no one has been able to uncover it. Every morning, all twelve girls are found collapsed on the rug in Rose's room with their brand new slippers in tatters. Rose shoulders the responsibility as eldest, but she can't help being amused by the new gardener. But things start to get out of control as each prince that has set out to find the answer is met with an untimely death. And two representatives from the Vatican take a little too much pleasure in investigating this possible witchcraft.

Galen has just returned from war, and is now living with his long lost aunt, her cynical husband, and his surprisingly optimistic cousin. Now armed with seemingly ordinary knitting needles and wool, Galen decides he's just the man for the job... the trick is to uncover the truth without the princesses knowing, while retaining Rose's almost reluctant favor.

There is almost certainly evil at work here, but in what form or forms does it take? Can Galen save the princesses and win Rose's heart? Or will something from evil depths once again reach through silver gates?

While similar to the original story, Princess of the Midnight Ball gave an interesting perspective to the evils we all face. There were so many twists and turns, I wasn't sure how it would end. So many rewrites recently have left me disappointed, but this is a definite challenger for the original. Even the romance doesn't take the usual course. I can't say more or I'll give it away.

I can't wait for the sequel Princess of Glass, a continuation of the first with a CinderEllen twist.

9 comments:

TheBookNurse said...

So glad you read this Amy, and your review makes me want to read it. Does this mean I need to buy the sequel, if only for you!?!?

Amy Lyon said...

I do believe we discussed this(and I might have said that outright). So....please and thank you?

Aspen Gates said...

This series does sound interesting. I may just haave to check it out.

Bryce Foster said...

too much romance in this one for me! it might be a great war and love romance but i dont find it to interesting.

Amy Lyon said...

There are really only hints of a blossoming romance. And there isn't much about the war, just the returning soldiers.

Hope Austin said...

Interesting. I love a good fairytale retelling.

Amy Lyon said...

Don't we all?

Halea Coulter said...

Eh, I'm bored with fairy tales.

Anonymous said...

I seem to be drawn toward these kinds of books. I remember reading it a few summers ago. I didn't know there were more books and now I will probably read them this summer