Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Sky Inside – a review by George Morejon


The Sky Inside - Clare B Dunkle
**** stars

The Sky Inside is an interesting book set in a futuristic dystopian society. In this domed bubble of a society, everything is brought in and out through giant carts that go to the outside world. Food, supplies, people, everything. Only and handful of people know what actually happens with these carts, and in this world, you don't ask questions. The walls have ears (and eyes), something Martin learned when he saw shape-shifting little robots disappear into the building at his father's work.

But Martin is content with his life in the dome, not asking any questions and accepting of the things like wonder babies (the name for the android children advertised years before) and robot shape-shifting dogs without a second thought. His sister Cassie (who is a wonder baby) can't help asking questions though; and one day, the higher-ups decide to "recall" all the wonder babies, who are too curious for their own good.

Martin, along with his robot dog Chip, are determined to get Cassie back and find out what is really going on, in the dome and in the outside world. He eventually finds answers, and they're answers he never wanted to know were true...

I thought this book was good. It had points where things were kind of dull and slow, but this is a thinking book. You think of your own ideas, and see if they were right (more so than books usually are). It took me about 5 hours to read. I give The Sky Inside a 4 out of 5.

7 comments:

Ian Zig. said...

that sounds kinda interesting, I might check that out next year, thanks for your input george

Amy Lyon said...

This does sound interesting, with a hint of mystery... I might check this out.

Hope Austin said...

I've thought about reading this, but I'm not too big on sci-fi. Glad to hear that it's good

Parker Levi said...

i thought this bookreview was pretty good. The domed world was very different and interesting to me.

Aspen Gates said...

I have thought about reading this and drome your review I just might do it.

Unknown said...

I think this actually sounds like an interesting book, I feel like sometimes when authors do futuristic books, the get lost in creating the world and so the storyline suffers, but it sounds like this book is well put together, thanks George!

Anonymous said...

I'm wondering whether this book is as good as it sounds or not. It seems very different for a YA book, similar but different to others books I've read and heard of. Agreed with the above comments, it could be one of those books that focuses so much on making a realistic representation of the world they're in, that the storyline suffers in its place.