Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Future of Us Reviewed by Molly Varney

By: Jay Asher & Carolyn Mackler ****


In 1996, most kids had barely used the internet. Emma just got a new computer from her dad,a guilt gift she thought.Ever since her parents had divorced, Emma had hardly seen her dad and his new wife and daughter. Her best friend and neighbor, Josh, had just brought over a new CD-ROM for her new computer since his mom didn't want it. Things had been awkward between the two ever since Emma had rejected Josh. When Emma logs onto her computer for the first time, she is immediatley logged onto a website for facebook.She logs onto it, only to find that it takes ger 15 years onto the future. At first Josh doesn't believe it. Then he finds out that he's going to marry Sydney Mills, one of the most popular girls at school. As soon as he hears this, he wants it to be true. Emma however, is not too pleased with her future. As the two of them try to shape their perfect futures they find that even the tiniest things can completely change their future. They can view their jobs, relationships, friends, and lives in the future, but is it good or bad? Emma starts to become obsessed with her future while Josh is happy with his own. The two are given a chance to see their futures, but what will they do when they know what's going to happen?



I thought this was a pretty good book. It was a really interesting theme, and I thought it was cool. It was really funny to read this and watch their reactions to Facebook, because we get on it all the time, and they have no idea what it is. I think my favorite character in this was Josh because he didn't get too worked up about seeing his future. Emma was always trying to change hers when she didn't like it while, most of the time, Josh just let things happen and didn't try to mess with it.I loved the ending and thought it was really sweet. This was definitely an interesting story, but I liked it a lot.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been wanting to read this book! Great review!

Anonymous said...

This review makes me want to read it! I'm just worried I won't like the ending!! Emma sounds like she'll get on my nerves, haha.