Tuesday, April 7, 2009

A Book Review by Makayla Quinn

The Thirteenth Tale

by Diana Setterfield

When I first picked up The Thirteenth Tale, the first thing that went through my head was that I wasn't going to like it because I'm more of a mythical type reader. At first it was touch and go with the book; I would pick it up and read a few chapters then I wouldn't read for a few days, and so on. But when the first few chapters were done with, the plot settled in, and I was hooked.


Diane Setterfield really knows how to weave mystery into a simple plot. It was slow, that much is for sure, but it had just the right amount of suspense and mystery to keep me reading. One thing that really surprised me was Vida Winter and her letter. It told exactly what fiction can do when one is afraid. Another thing was Vida's past. Setterfield created a book where the story is in the story.

I give this book 4 stars out of 5. It was sluggish but it was filled with twists and turns, suspense and subplots that finish the book with a surprising ending that will leave you speechless.

No comments: