Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Meaghan Kimbrell's Book Review

Old School

By Tobias Wolff

* Star

I thought that this novel was rather boring. I did not enjoy this book and don’t suggest anyone else to read it unless they enjoy being bored by novels.

This novel is about a boy in a boarding school and how mostly all of the students compete in writing competitions to win a private audience of famous writers such as Frost and Hemingway. The writer never really connects the reader to any of the characters, he mainly just speaks of the literature and the value of it in life.


The only way I would ever get this book for myself was if someone just gave it to me for free.

1 comment:

TheBookNurse said...

I know you didn't like this book! I didn't think it was that bad, but you're right, it's not a world we can easily connect with. It seems pretty strange to think of a private school full of high school aged boys that would be that interested in literature and authors! :)
I really disliked the open ending and the fact that the narrator didn't have a name.