Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Johanna Kelly's Book Review

Old School

By Tobias Wolff

*** stars

This is your last year in high school-- your chance to meet a famous author. You have to write a story that’s better than anyone else’s. The main character in Old School, (his name is never given) really wishes to get face to face with one of the many authors that visit.

Old School is a book that takes place in the sixties at an elite prep school. We follow one boy’s story, focusing on his life, his relationships, and his struggles at writing. Old School is written in first person, and is extremely “wordy.”

This is an English teacher’s dream book. I am glad that I read it. It’s a nice change from normal young adult books.

3 comments:

TheBookNurse said...

This definitely was an interesting book. The Big Read is a great concept -- I enjoyed listening every day to another reader on KKFI radio.

I think that this book should be used in junior year American literature classes!

Hope Austin said...

As someone who plans to be an English major, I love love love this book. I'd recomend it to any young aspiring writer.

Johanna said...

Really Hope? I do not plan to be a writer, nor an English major.

However, this would be a good assinged book. It was boring for a pleasure read.